Skip to main content

Celebration..

Its 11.45 and I had just reached home. As I was trying to change into my pajamas and go to sleep without waking up my parents, I tripped over my little brother who wakes up and starts crying, wailing more like. It’s so like me to screw already screwed up things for myself and end up in deep s**t. Hurriedly, I hid myself beneath the many layers of my bed sheet and prayed fruitlessly for my heartbeat, which was thumping loudly, to go back to its normal pace. Feigning sleep as my dad came to check on me, I thought back at how memorable that day of Holi had been……
Our society people had organized a Holi party consisting of DJ and rain dance much to the excitement of us girls, who were not otherwise allowed to go out and celebrate this day for the fear that “eve- teasers” are on their all-time high.


Was it the colors or the DJ or the (recreational) rain or the dancing, I don’t really know. Maybe it was a mixture of all of it, but this has been the most fantastic Holi-party ever. We ended up celebrating until after noon and only when the sun had become unbearably hot and was messing with our already chemically-affected skin did we actually decide to back home.

But the fun didn’t end here. It was also our cutest friend, Shikha’s birthday that day and we made sure it was the most memorable birthday she ever celebrated. Due to the fact that we were running out of funds for birthday gifts, we decided that hand-made gifts are most appreciated by everyone and made her a movie. A MOVIE from all her pics and of course, the most common, a birthday card.
Our bad luck that it was Holi and top it up with the fact that we didn’t even make a reservation in any restaurant, we ended up making more bill out of our taxi fare than we did on our food. The crowd outside every restaurant was so much; you’d say they had all just declared that they’re distributing free food! Not unexpected that we had to wait one hour to get ourselves a table. Hungry, crabby, bored and tired, we didn’t even dare talk knowing that even the slightest of things will set us off and world war 3 will commence then and there.

Just then a cake from 210 came to our rescue on the back seat of Monal’s Activa. Trust me, if it hadn’t been for the cake, we would have all just died due to the famine-like condition we were in.
To hell with etiquette and sophistication, we thought and buried ourselves in the cake sitting on the Activa right there on the street in front of the restaurant we were waiting outside. Monal’s Activa had suffered a lot of damage and was in dire need of a good wash once our cake was over. Finally, when all our growling stomachs were temporarily fed, cheerfulness made its way back into our little gang again and we resorted to the only thing that we do…. always. PHOTOSESSION.
We finish with our dinner by 11.15 and I’m feeling all panicky coz I was already past my curfew time and even though it’s the first time I’ve broken my curfew, I was sure to get grounded owing to the fact that
a.It was Holi
b.I had not asked for permission but merely mentioned it to my father and had run out of the room before he could even open his mouth and
c.I’m not sure whether my voice was audible enough when I asked my dad for permission (mentioned that I’m going i.e.) for dinner.
Oh boy, I’m so frickin dead!
But the cabbie was so helpful, trust me! He was driving his cab at 120 SPEED and he had broken all the signals (not that anyone follows signals at 11 in the night, but still) even wished me luck when I got out of the cab. So nice of him.
I thought I still had a chance to ditch punishment if I got home before dad; he mostly goes for a late-night walk and comes back by 12. But it was just my luck that not only did he have to be there when I got home but also my sister had to start acting that she was asleep and that I had woken her up and that she’ll go and complain dad that I had come late if I didn’t give her a Rs. 50 note. I know. All sisters are the same.
But in the end, dad comes out and takes my younger brother into his room and (thank god for that) falls asleep.
Wow, all in all, a pretty eventful day, eh?

Comments

MangoMan said…
interesting!

1. the father and the late night walk.
2. the sister and the corruption.
3. the brother and the "tripping" as if he's a football strewn around!

the cake pic did speak volumes oh how famished you were!

Popular posts from this blog

One moment please.

That relief you feel when you see their eyes stunned and their faces pained - even if for a second - that momentary relief! That is what makes us say hurting things, to be mean. That's what makes us want to scream and swear and make them cry. That relief that makes you feel that you don't have to bear it alone. It's eerily peaceful! That one short moment makes it less devastating. That you're not the only one with problems. You're not the only one fucked up. You are not the only depressed soul. You can  see the ghost of the laughter that still hasn't left their mouth before your outburst and it gives you hope, maybe even a little perspective. Suddenly, the world is a much bigger place and you're a barely-existent dot on that globe. You see the bigger picture. You see that there are much bigger problems. Problems that you would never, ever want to encounter. You see that the person standing in front of you - the person that you've just yelled at

25% of me!

I was tagged on someone's blog for the very first time in my life....feels so special, I can't express...just seeing your name and your creation etched there in the normal black ink...people who read this wouldn't even look twice...'oh, whatever, she's a blogger...she writes...big deal!' is what they'll say...but to me? It means so so much...getting appreciation for your creativity...feels ecstatic...I remember when I had got my very first blog follower...out of nowhere...I hadn't even followed any other blog at that time, I guess...he just came outta nowhere and read my stuff and liked it... blissful I felt...n now, this . Thankyou, Molly... Okk...moving on to the 25 things I do....hmmm.... This is a chain-game....I've been passed it to me by Molly...I just gotta write some random 25 things about me...and then tag 10 ppl....those whom I tag have to then write 25things about them and so on... So here goes, 1. I'm Jitika Jain. Unwillingl

A happy ending!

A blinding flash of light! A high-pitched shriek! Darkness! Funny how death is one thing which is strong enough to snap you out of reality! Yeah, I don’t say dream but reality.   Think about it! He lay there, wishing with all his will… if only he could have one chance at rewind! Or did he really want that? Did he want to live through all the pain and misery and bitterness again? Did he have the strength…or the guts? “Someone call the ambulance, he’s dying” he heard a terrified cry from somewhere to his right. That person must be really close for he could hear him (even in this pain) properly.  The rest was a blur of voices pounding through his head. He was dying. This is it! It’s finally over, the wait! He shuffled through all his memories to find that one particular face. A face that he had been trying very hard to push at the back of his mind, and if successful, absolute removal! But what does it matter now? And there it was, the image installed in his brain, paused at exactly